Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter

I've always felt rather behind when it comes to Easter.  It's not that I don't love the holiday; I really do.  I love the extra opportunity to remember my Savior.  It's just that I tend to be nine months pregnant when Easter rolls around, so I don't have the energy for extra activities (not to mention we're already celebrating birthdays).  This is the third time.  So I feel pretty happy if I manage Easter baskets.  Next year I'm promising myself that we'll focus on it more.
 
Anyway, we did have a little fun this year.  A couple of weeks ago we joined our friends for a pre-Easter egg-roll.  It's an egg cracking contest that they do every year.  All we had to do was bring hard boiled, decorated eggs.  I managed the hard boiled part, but we just didn't have time to dye eggs.  So 20 min. before the party we pulled out crayons and decorated that way.  We were late in our effort to have pretty eggs.  :)  The egg-roll was fun, and two of our kids won!  They were first and second place.  That was pretty exciting for them, although I think they had just as much fun peeling the shells off of the cracked eggs.  Then we had lunch with them and visited for a little while.

Saturday was incredibly busy so I was happy that I managed to pull out our plastic eggs for the kids to have an egg hunt in the basement.  I even hid the eggs for them once...it totally felt like an accomplishment.  :)

On Sunday morning they woke up excited to find Easter baskets.  We hide them, so half the fun is the searching.  We like to keep their baskets simple, so they each had a fun church book, PopTarts, Peeps, and milk flavoring straws.  They've never had PopTarts or the milk flavoring straws before so those were a fun novelty for Easter breakfast.  :)  Then we managed to make it to church on time, but once again I took zero pictures of them dressed up.  I'm promising myself that's something I'll do next year too.  After church I felt well enough to cook, so I made a decent dinner and brownies right away.  Then we had a nice family nap.  When we woke up I just had to put the food in the oven.  Yeah!

Today I remembered that Jim's mom had sent us an Easter package.  'Out of sight, out of mind' made me forget I had it yesterday.  It was perfect for today, though, because it had outdoor play things.  So we opened it and the kids went out to play.  Since I took zero pictures yesterday, I thought I'd take one of the kids outside today enjoying themselves.    

No comments: