Karen Sue Davis Wild
January 15, 1956- April 18, 2016
My mom declined gradually during March and the first part of April. She was blessed to be in her own home the entire time with Alan caring for her. We were so grateful that she was calm and comfortable during her last weeks.
I stayed up late reading on the night of April 17th, even though I was tired. Alan called me around 11:30pm to tell me that my mom had passed away. She'd left peacefully in her sleep. We'd been expecting this for weeks, and I was surprised that my emotions weren't what I expected. I'm sure I was in shock, plus I'd been steeling myself for this moment for months.
At her funeral the following week, we were blessed to see how far her love extended. There were hundreds of people there; the chapel was completely full as was the overflow. I felt so blessed to be the daughter of this amazing woman whose greatest talent was to love everyone around her. After the funeral was over I felt an amazing peace and a tangible relief. I literally felt that this burden I'd been carrying every since my mom had the first seizure ninth months earlier was lifted. The peace and the calm were strong and complete.
Those feelings have persisted for me ever since (I write this January 2017). When she was first diagnosed with cancer, I received a very clear impression that her work on this earth was finished, and I absolutely know that is true. When I miss her I feel sad that I can't talk with her right now and that I can't know what she's doing every day, but behind that is the most powerful peace and sense of right. I cry, but I'm happy behind it knowing that she fulfilled her mission on this earth so well. I think of her attributes and try to emulate her example. She is as alive today as she was in her mortal body. I absolutely know this to be true and it gives me great peace and strength.
After Jim, my mom was best friend. We had daily communication. I'd call her frequently so she could tell me that I wasn't failing as a mother; she'd comfort me and lovingly chastise me, and then tell me everything going on in her life. We talked for hours every week. She was amazing in the way she cared for her family. She constantly reached out to her children, her grandchildren, and her sons-in-law. Jim heard from her several times a week. She'd make us laugh, watch for things we needed that she could provide (nearly every useful thing I own came from her!), offer us support, and make every effort to spend time with us. Her love radiated and we couldn't help but want to be around her.
She spent almost 30 years loving and working with teenagers through church and at the high school she worked at. She could see potential in every kid and she sincerely loved each one of them. She made friends everywhere she went. At times she made us nervous because she would talk to complete strangers in potentially dangerous places! She had probably 20 friends that she considered best friends and hundreds more besides. She considered everyone she met a friend, and she made everyone feel good. Her gift and her mission was to love and lift the people around her. She did it well.
My mom loved to laugh. I like to go back and look at her facebook page still to see the funny memes she'd frequently post. I can hear her giggling when I see the things that she thought were funny, and boy did she giggle! One of our favorite things to do with her was to keep her up late so we could make her laugh so hard she'd cry. She always had things to smile about.
She was the most patient person I've ever known. As I struggle as a parent, I'm constantly in awe at how patient she was with us as children. She had a lot of really difficult trials during her life, but she was cheerful despite whatever she was going through. She persisted, worked hard, and made it through each challenge.
I miss her. I miss the silly little things, the serious things, and just time in general with her. I'm sure she's watching over us and also making a million friends on the other side. I often wish I could hear what she's up to. I'm sure she's busy doing great things. I look forward to the reunion I know we will have one day. I am so grateful that our Heavenly Father has put in a place a plan that allows us to be with our families for eternity. In the meantime, I will think of my angel mother often.
No comments:
Post a Comment