In all, I was in Colorado for eight weeks and Logan was with me for the last four or five. He had plenty of time to be bored, so I often found pictures like this on my tablet.
Through a series of scary and miraculous events, we discovered that my mom was reacting badly to the medications and we were able to move to a better regimen. When we first made the change she went from being unable to speak, unable to swallow, and unable to wake up to being almost fully coherent and having an appetite. We were blessed with one beautiful day where she was laughing and joking with us almost as normal. After that she declined slowly, but her agitation was nearly gone and she was much more coherent and rational. Most importantly, she was finally comfortable and able to rest. When she'd reached the point of unconsciousness I'd mourned that she was finally leaving us, so this was such a blessing. I felt like my mom had been given back to me.
She had a new inflow of visitors once we changed the medication regimen.
Laurel was constantly passed around and she loved being held by everyone.
She learned to sit up!
Laurel wouldn't go down for naps during our time in Colorado, but she'd fall asleep nursing several times a day and take little power naps. She was always happy.
Danielle, Aunt Sandy, Alan, and I had lots of time to hang out. Things were much calmer.
Logan took more pictures.
The team! Even though it was such a difficult ordeal, I think we were all strengthened by it. I feel that I was blessed through this experience more than any other in my life.
Danielle and Aunt Sandy went home towards the end of the month, and I began to feel that it was time for me to go as well. We'd gone from a point where it took four of us around the clock to manage my mom's care to a point where Alan could handle it on his own. It was truly a miracle that we reached that point, and we were so happy that we could fulfill my mom's strong desire to remain in her home.
Laurel, Logan, and I said goodbye on March 1st.












No comments:
Post a Comment