Sunday, September 1, 2013

Logan's Birthday

We celebrated the 7th anniversary of the day we became parents yesterday.  In other words our oldest had a birthday!  We are so glad Logan is part of our family.  I can't imagine life without this awesome kid.
 
On Wednesday Logan and I had a date to celebrate.  When I asked him if he'd go on a date with me he requested the library.  That's my boy!  So we went out for ice cream and then to the library.  He ordered a chocolate mixer with caramel and M&M's at Culver's.  He ate the entire thing.  I couldn't believe it; that's a lot of rich ice cream!

On Friday we were planning to go camping as his big birthday activity, but the weather was VERY hot and humid.  So we had to skip that.  We let Logan choose an evening activity instead; he chose to watch a movie.  I also made his cake.

He still had a campfire.  :) 

He made a special request for a chocolate swiss roll cake, so I attempted it.  It was a first for me; I was worried it would fall apart!  It survived, though.  Because we were going to turn it into campfire logs, I rolled it width ways instead of length ways.

I had planned to frost the outside to make it look more like wood and less like cake, but as soon as I had the 'logs' stacked I realized that wouldn't be necessary.  The roughness from the towel combined with the powdered sugar gave it the perfect unintended effect.  Woohoo!

The 'coals' were donut holes, and the 'fire' was orange wedge candies and red fruit roll ups. 
Logan wanted a picture with his cake as soon as it was finished.

Logan woke up extra early on his birthday (Saturday) and was bouncing off the walls with excitement.  Because our plans were pretty flexible we let him open presents right after breakfast.

He received several cards with gift money.  He's excited to spend it.

Next he opened Alex's present.  I'd taken Alex and Annie to the Dollar Tree to choose something for him a few days before.  He liked the glow bones that Alex gave him.

When he was opening Annie's present she told him that she wanted him to hug her to say thank you.

He sweetened the deal with a thank you kiss.  (It doesn't look like it, but he really is kissing her on the cheek.)

He liked the puzzle she gave him.

Next he opened our big present.  This was from us and my mom.  I saw this on a friend's blog recently; she'd given it to her 7 year old for his birthday, and I knew immediately it would be just the thing for our 7 year old.  This is a kid friendly circuit board complete with instructions to make hundreds of cool projects.

We sent him searching for his last present.




He was pretty excited when he found his new bike.  This was from Jim's parents.  It's a size up from his old bike, so he was pretty nervous about riding it at first.  With the seat lowered all the way he can't quite reach the ground.  I had to demonstrate that I have the same problem with my bike before he worked up the courage to ride it.  We took it for a quick spin around the block to boost his confidence.  Then we loaded the bikes in the van and headed for the state park. 

We had a picnic at the park and then headed for the trail.  As were getting everybody ready to ride, we found this little snapping turtle crawling across the parking lot.


He was definitely a baby.

Jim's bike parts are on back-order, so he pushed the double stroller instead of pulling the bike trailer.

Annie and Logan rode at a very nice pace for this out of shape momma. 

I could have ridden a lot longer, but it was hard to keep everyone together since Jim had to walk.

After bike riding Logan was excited to open his Snap Circuit kit.  He spent the rest of the day working with it.

Some of the projects are really cool.  He can make an a/m radio, all sorts of alarms, lots of cool sounds, lights, and a lie detector, just to name a few.

We had to pull him away for dinner and birthday cake.  After he blew out the candles he went right back to his Snap Circuits.  We had to call him back to the table to EAT the cake.  Funny guy. 

I don't know why these pictures are so bright.  :(

I really wish this picture had the right color.  How often do all the kids give great smiles at the same time?!


After cake Alex had as much excitement as Logan because he also got a 'new' bike.  Jim put the training wheels back on Logan's old bike for Alex.  He was thrilled and rode around until bedtime.  I was impressed with how well this kid could pedal.

Happy birthday Logan!

No comments: