Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Jim's Birthday

We celebrated Jim's birthday in two parts.  The first was a fantastic date for just the two of us.  We dropped the kids off at 2pm (on a Saturday) to a wonderfully kind friend, then headed to several places.  First we had ice cream at Culver's.  Then we went shopping for clothes for Jim (my present to him).  We also headed to another store to start some Christmas shopping.  Lastly, we had delicious burgers at Red Robin.  I think we were gone for almost 6 hours!  It was such a nice day together.
 
On the evening of his birthday, we had a nice dinner, cookies for dessert (Jim didn't want cake), and the kids gave him their presents.
 
The first few presents were hilarious.  The kids love to give gifts, so they put various items into gift bags for Jim.  Annie gave Jim one of her hats.

Logan gave Jim a craft he made.

Alex had the 'real' present.

This was sparked from a couple of ideas.  First of all, Jim makes wonderful farm animal noises, and I've been telling him our whole marriage that we needed to get him a shirt with farm animals on it so the kids could push his 'buttons'.  So we took an old shirt and drew the farm animals on it.  The kids had a great time pushing his 'buttons' so he'd made the noises.  Funny.

The back of the shirt was inspired from a post Jim put on facebook recently.  He had a picture of a man wearing a shirt with a road drawn on the back and kids driving cars on it.  It was titled, "How to Get Your Kids to Give you a Back Massage."  I joked then that I knew what to get him for his birthday.  Then we actually decided to do it.  :)



I took some pictures on the days we made the shirt.  I was pretty pleased with my animal drawings.  I have no confidence in my ability to draw, so I looked up some clip art and visually copied them.  Tracing would have been preferable, but was impossible, so I was happy with it.

The kids colored the shirt.


We did the road a different day.  The kids chose what types of buildings were going to be around the road, and then they colored it.




Happy birthday Daddy!

No comments: