Sunday, June 13, 2010

Help!

I am very seriously seeking suggestions here.  How do you teach a two year old not to bite?  And how do you teach that same two year old not to push other children?  Annie has become very aggressive lately, and her biting in particular concerns us.  She tried to bite one of her friends this week and actually bit a different friend last week!  Most of the time, she plays nicely and she even shares, but when something upsets her she gets mean.  When Logan tried biting at her age, we gave him a taste of soap and that cured him of it.  We've done that with Annie a couple of times, but each time she took a bite out of the bar of soap, chewed it, and swallowed it without any complaint!  It didn't really change the behavior either!  She definitely understands that it hurts, too.  (Logan has bitten her back a couple of times!)  If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them!  Thanks!

5 comments:

Danielle said...

Try a different soap?

JK. I have no real help for you. My kids sometimes bite each other, but it's usually because they are frustrated and can't get what they want. You need to help them figure out a different to express their frustrations. But that's hard for a 2 year old to do. And quite frankly, when Charlotte bites Justin, they both get in trouble because Justin has been driving Charlotte bonkers to the point I don't blame her for biting him!

Stephanie Montgomery said...

My brother and wife use to do Hot sause or Tabasco sause. No little toddler will like that. Or just bite her back the next time she does it so she can understand a little better that it really hurts when she does that. Don' t bit her too hard. Good luck!!!!

Cindi said...

Tough!! We had that problem when my boys were little. Nothing seemed to work. Biting back just made ME feel bad and like I was teaching the wrong concept... it's not ok for you, but let me do it... (Like I said, we tried it all out of desperation)Finally we were at the mall play area and Aiden bit another child there that we didn't know. I was mortified. He bit pretty hard and nearly drew blood. The other mother was very understanding, thank goodness! I decided to stay at the play area for a full half hour after that (even though I was planning to leave) and he had to sit next to me and couldn't play. Then as we were leaving, I let his brother ride the little carousel (which I never had cash and so they rarely got to do) but didn't let him. I made sure he knew that he wasn't playing or riding because he bit someone. It killed me. :) But it seemed to work.

Jim, Becky, and Kids said...

Thanks for the ideas! We will have to try something different the next time she bites! (And focus on helping her figure out a different way to express herself; we hadn't been focusing on that!)

SweetPea said...

This is from my mother-in-law.

I just did a really quick search on the internet and there are oodles of suggestions. The biggies seem to be not making a BIG to-do about it (not too much attention) AND there needs to be constant supervision until this phase passes. The adult needs to be there to remind them not to bite. You can usually tell when the child is getting frustrated and are about to latch on with the teeth. A toddler doesn't have the ability yet to share her needs/wants/hurts, etc. with words and that is why the bite (and push probably). Supervision and reinforcement when they are NOT biting is good too.

She also suggested looking here: http://pediatrics.about.com/od/weeklyquestion/a/1106_biting.htm

Good luck!