Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Public Embarrassment

Last night, I had a little experience that proved just how embarrassing the honesty of a three year old can be.  We had finished shopping, and I stepped up to the cashier.  This is what I saw/ heard: a person with hair about two inches long and styled in a way that could be either gender; a person about 5'7" of slender to medium build; a person wearing loose fitting clothes so as to not reveal gender telling features, and the clothes were gender neutral; a person's who's face could have been either; and a voice of just the right tone to be either!  I thought, "Is this a man or a woman?"  So I checked out the name tag, and his/ her name was Terry!  That would have been the end of it had I been alone, but Logan was as puzzled as I was, and asked a very honest question, "Mom, is that a man?"  I ignored him, but he continued asking me over and over and over raising his voice each time.  I tried my best to pretend I didn't hear my son, and hoped as much as I could that somehow this cashier didn't hear him either (yeah right!).  When Logan asked me about the tenth time, I couldn't ignore him anymore so I said, "Not right now, honey."  That didn't help matters because he just got louder and more insistent!  It probably took all of two minutes to get out of there because my purchase was small, but it felt like an eternity!  I'm sure we embarrassed, and irritated that poor person (who I do think was a man), and I'm positive that we were both relieved when I finally took Logan out of the store!

No comments: