Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Our Big Exciting Weekend

This is MY version of events:

This past weekend Jim decided he was going to have a three day backpacking trip on Pikes Peak...let's just remember that this is the month of JANUARY and Pikes Peak is located in COLORADO. Anyway, I was geared up for a boring uneventful weekend alone with the kids while my husband and his buddies froze up there. The first day I received my phone call from Jim (there is a rock at the camp that you can stand on and hold your phone over your head to receive a signal) letting me know they'd had an uneventful, fun day. So had I. Great so far.

The second day I received a phone call at 1pm during which Jim informed me that he'd left his buddies and was going down the trail alone back to camp. (He had a great signal because he was above timberline.) Hmm...not so sure he should have left his buddies, but I really wasn't worried. It was a beautiful day and he had a trail to follow! Or so I thought. At 3pm I received another phone call informing me that he hadn't been on the trail for a while and that he was now below timberline and in waist deep snow. LOST. Wonderful! And the sun was going down in a couple of hours in JANUARY in COLORADO on PIKES PEAK. I may or may not have been worried at this point, and I may or may not have called Search and Rescue (because they could easily call him and tell him where the trail was compared to his location unless he climbed lower), and I may or may not have paced back and forth crying during the next little while. The important thing is that this little event caused some contractions to start. At 3:45pm Jim called me back to let me know he'd found the trail. Truly wonderful! But the contractions had started. He made it back to camp in no time, and I attempted to relax the rest of the evening. I then attempted to go to bed at 9:30...surely the contractions would stop then? Three hours later I was on the phone with the doctor praying that I wouldn't go into labor 10 weeks early AND when my husband was out of reach (he certainly wasn't sleeping on that nice rock). I do know what Braxton-Hicks contractions feel like, and these weren't them! My doctor asked me to come to the hospital and I responded that I was alone with two sleeping children because my husband was on Pikes Peak. She was pretty baffled that he'd want to camp out on Pikes Peak in JANUARY. Anyways, she told me to try Ibuprofen (!!!) and Benadryl first...maybe that would calm things down and prevent a trip to the hospital. I very nervously took the Ibuprofen (because that is a HUGE no-no when you are in the third trimester of pregnancy) and Benadryl and went back to bed. Thankfully it worked.

So the third day, I was trying to take things easy and was eagerly waiting my husband's return because I was paranoid about lifting children, climbing the stairs, etc... and we all missed him. Well, on his descent he had an encounter with the mountain that rendered his right arm useless (and of course he was sore and blistered and tired). I was still having Braxton-Hicks contractions; not a big worry, but I didn't want to increase anything. Jim went to the Urgent Care for x-rays and I sat around. He came home feeling no better and having learned that he'd cracked a bone (at least he didn't fully break it). So neither of us could really lift the kids or climb the stairs or do much of anything; pathetic!


This picture is unrelated and wasn't even taken during our big exciting weekend, but I love catching photos of my sleeping babes!

3 comments:

Science Kids said...

Wow, Becky--I am glad that everything turned out okay. After reading your post, I think I'll take my "boring" life any day! I hope you are all doing well. We enjoy following your blog.

Ariana said...

Yikes! What a weekend! I hope you both are feeling better. Try to take it easy--at least as easy as you can with two kiddos. :o)

Maria said...

Oh my goodness!! I'm so glad he's home safe!!!