Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Harvesting

I have been very pleased with our garden this year.  It cost us about $50 to put in (mostly because Jim built boxes) and we've yielded more than that in produce.  We had tons of lettuce and spinach early on.  We've been picking big bowls of tomatoes constantly (there are still TONS of green ones on the vines if they survive the cooler weather).  We had plenty of carrots, a few green onions, and a few potatoes.  Then there are the pumpkins and the sunflowers. 
 
Because we had some freezing temperatures at night recently, we harvested some pumpkins.  Unforunately our largest pumpkins that were out there have mysteriously disappeared.  :(  We aren't sure how many have disappeared, but I think we are four short.  They were the biggest ones too.  We left four more good sized green ones on the vine.  I'm hoping they'll still be there when they ripen so we can carve them.  Our pumpkin thief is my only disappointment with our garden this year.

On Monday evening, we decided it was time to harvest our sunflower seeds.  We only had three sunflowers grow, and only two developed flowers, but we filled a big bowl with the seeds from those two!  I'm excited to cook them!



No comments: