Last week I was very excited to make my own laundry detergent. Seriously, I was STOKED. It was super easy, cost $20 for a year supply (or .037 per load so WAY cheaper than any store detergent), and our clothes smell cleaner than ever. If you ever catch me smelling my laundry, it's because I'm loving it so much.
Here's the recipe: (I am NOT claiming this recipe as my own. However, I forget what blog it was I found it on.)
-4lb box borax (detergent aisle)
-55oz box Super Washing Soda (detergent aisle)
-3 bars Fels Naptha Soap (detergent aisle)
-36oz OxiClean (detergent aisle)
-64oz baking soda (baking aisle)
I bought everything at Wal-mart and most of it was together on the same aisle.
Here's my picture of the ingredients (skip the purple laundry crystals...turns out they don't add any scent to this recipe).
Grate the soap in your cheese grater.
Mix in a bucket. This filled about half of a 5 gallon bucket. (Funny side note: I put the lid on the bucket and rolled it around to mix the ingredients. Then I took the lid off to finish mixing. Alex picked up the lid, took a LONG lick, and walked away with no reaction. So apparently, this tastes okay too. Ha ha!)
I put some of it in a smaller container with a spoon by the washer. Ta da! It only takes 1 TABLESPOON of the detergent per load. I wash BIG loads, and this small amount has made them very clean. Yay!
3 comments:
I'm definitely going to try this... sounds awesome!
YAY! I'm so glad you tried it - now that I know a real person who has made it, I am less afraid about going for it. I've seen it on pinterest, but was skeptical of such a big project without knowing for sure how it would turn out. I'm glad you like to smell it. Smelling clean laundry is one of my favorite things too. I can't wait to try it! Thanks for posting it!
I've been thinking about trying this for a long time and I finally got around to making it today. Do you have a HE washer? I don't, and I'm trying to decide if 1 TB is going to be enough detergent and I wondered if such a small amount worked better in HE machines. Thanks!
Post a Comment