Sunday, September 6, 2009

Happy Birthday

Our boy is 3! He had his birthday last Monday, and we celebrated at a park. All of our in-town parents/ siblings made it which was really nice. Logan has been talking about his birthday ever since Annie's (back in March). I think that's when he realized what a birthday party was. So the days before his birthday had much anticipation. He was very excited to have a cake and presents. That morning, he woke up and told me, "I want my birthday cake now." He was disappointed not to have it for breakfast, but was a good sport about it.

Opening presents...I don't have pictures of all of his presents, but he received a great assortment, and he was equally excited about them all. Everyone brought him things that fit into his favorite categories.

My dad brought him new cars and a cool track to go with them. It does a complete loop, and sends an airplane flying when the car goes around the loop. It's been permanently set up in our living room for a week...it's that much fun.

He's been obsessed with Toy Story for a long time; so my mom and sister brought him Woody and Buzz Lightyear. He also received a Toy Story shirt and pajamas...guess what he wants to wear every day? Maybe he won't need to obsess over these toys at his friends' houses anymore...

He also LOVES camping, so Jim's family bought him some camping gear of his VERY OWN. They even took him camping on Friday, and he got to use it.


Puzzles from us...these were more something that I wanted for my children, and I actually told Logan that they are for Annie too so he wouldn't think he could claim them. (Although he's been great about sharing his presents, except the vacuum cleaner...more about that later.) Both kids have enjoyed these more than I expected, though, and they have been constantly out with all of the other new toys.

His train "cake". It's actually a rice-krispy treat dyed blue. I had this great idea that it would be easier than a cake (which it was) and that I'd do all sorts of cool decorating because I didn't have to deal with frosting as much. My 'cool decorating' never materialized because I was feeling miserable that entire day. I worked on it until Logan said it looked like a train, then I had to lay down. (The other side doesn't even have wheels.)

The vacuum cleaner...
This present is not pictured above...and it probably deserves its own blog post. When everyone asked me what to get Logan I told them his favorite categories: Toy Story, camping, and cleaning (I didn't have to say cars because that's been ongoing for two years). I said cleaning because Logan has always wanted to help me clean (unless it means picking up his own mess) and he constantly plays with my vacuum cleaner and broom. I've been contemplating for the last year getting him a mini-broom or a push-vac. So my mom went out and found this 3-pound vacuum cleaner. It is very real. When he opened it at the park, he wasn't very excited, and my mom explained that he received this strange present because of ME.

Well, the very first thing he wanted to "play" with when we got home was the vacuum cleaner. He vacuumed for at least 30 min. before looking at anything else. He's continued to use it in turn with his other presents every single day. I'm so proud. I wish I could say that I no longer need to vacuum our carpet, but his favorite areas to clean don't include the dining room or the edges of any room.

The best part: MY 3 YEAR OLD OWNS HIS VERY OWN VACUUM! How many 3 year olds can say that?
Still contemplating the mini-broom...

Happy Birthday buddy!

1 comment:

Coon Family said...

The Krispy Train turned out great!! Yes my girls fight over our real and toy vacuums. Glad he had a good and special day!