Monday, September 29, 2008

Falafel Recipe

8 oz dry chick peas (AKA garbanzo beans)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 TB finely chopped parsley
2 1/2 TB onion powder
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp salt
3 TB flour (can be omitted for those who cannot eat gluten)

1. Dry mix: Grind chick peas to a fine powder. I use my wheat grinder. Wet mix: If you do not have this option, soak and cook chick peas according to package instructions. (I prefer the dry mix because I can make a lot of it at once, and store it for a quick meal idea.)
2. Combine all ingredients.
3. Dry mix only: Add enough water until moistened and slightly firm.
4. Make into balls (approx. 1 inch diameter); let sit for 10 minutes.
5. Fry in 1/2 inch olive oil until golden brown.

I like to serve these in pita bread with ranch dressing, cucumbers, tomatoes, and lettuce. We've found that even most little kids like these!

We've also made these into patties, and served them on hamburger buns.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Ariana said...

I like the pita sandwich idea. I can't wait to try it!

Maria Bradley said...

This looks good, I will definitely have to try this recipe. Where is this recipe from? Thanks for posting it!

Jim, Becky, and Kids said...

On our second date, Jim made this for me. It's a Mediterranean dish that our friend from Israel taught him about. Jim made it out of a box that night, but it was expensive to make that way. So I found a recipe, and altered it so I could have a dry mix.