Monday, March 29, 2010

Quarantined!

What is the number one thing you do not want in your home when you have a newborn? Sick kids! (At least I can't think of something worse.) It's especially bad when those sick kids live at your house and have "wake-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night-gasping-for-air-despite-the-humidifier" croup!

It started with this kid. Poor guy; he'd been bored out of his mind all week because I didn't want to take the baby out of the house for fear of germs...(seems my purpose was defeated, though). Now we can't go anywhere because HE is sick. He woke up gasping for air night before last; we were thanking our lucky stars that it was the oldest child since it's least dangerous for him and he can tell us how he's feeling.

Then last night, I heard that seal-barking sound coming from their room again, but this time there were tiny cries between each series of coughs. I found Annie in her crib gasping for air and scared. We took her into the bathroom for some shower steam (did the same with Logan the night before) and she just clung to me. Her little heart was beating FAST! I'm glad the steam works so well!

We had a friend over before the sun was up to help give priesthood blessings...even Alex got one. I'm so grateful for the power of the priesthood! Then we decided that the older kids needed to stay away from the baby as much as possible, so this wonderful man took the day off and packed them down to my mom's house for the day. Jim says Annie has been clinging to him all day!

Now my focus is on keeping this child healthy. I am going to disinfect EVERYTHING today, and keep a close eye on Alex.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I'm glad to see you guys are all recovered. I'm sorry you were all so sick!!!

Coon Family said...

That is no fun and we understand the scare! Sounds like we got it too shortly after you guys! Avy is sick now (rosy nose and all) but no "croup" like signs for her (she might be too old for it now). Two years ago on the exact day (as Link's ER trip) we had to take Avy to the ER for croup (her whole chest was deflating with each breath) and was very scary. Glad things are better now.