Sunday, October 4, 2009

Finished!

FINALLY! This was a huge project. When I decided to make these felt stockings for my kids, my mom told me you needed a year to complete each one. I totally understand now (although it didn't take a year). I wanted to make them because my siblings and I all had one and I loved looking at the different Christmas scenes when I was a little girl. I loved that they were 3-dimensional in some aspects, and that we all had our own unique stocking. I started Logan's in May, didn't work on it a lot during the summer months, and got busy with it again in September. I don't even want to count how many hours it took to complete. But I am totally pleased with the end product, and Logan loves it.


The thing I didn't realized about these stockings is how much embroidery work is involved. This thing had more than 100 pieces, and all but 3 of them had to be embroidered, stuffed, sequined, or a combination before they were attached to the stocking. The bear's scarf took three hours by itself!

Logan was constantly asking me if he could "have my stocking yet?" and telling me to "please make my stocking." So once it was finished I let him play with it for five minutes then told him we had to put it away until Christmas. He promptly filled it with toys and a small pumpkin, and proceeded to pretend to feed the bears the marshmallows (the marshmallows aren't totally attached). Now he keeps asking if it's Christmas yet.

As soon as his stocking was put away, he told me I needed to start Annie's stocking. This is the state that it is in...mostly. I worked on it for two hours after taking this picture, and all I accomplished in that time was some sequins (those tedious little things!). Not so sure it will be finished before this Christmas...


This is an up-close shot of what it will look like (except it will say 'Annie').

A totally random picture...

2 comments:

Cindi said...

Ambitious! Very impressive!

Ariana said...

WOW! Those are beautiful stockings with amazing detail! I'm sure Logan and Annie will cherish them.