Thursday, October 16, 2008

Sleeping Through the Night

Something that I find humorous about motherhood is the goal of having your children sleep through the night. Do they really care if they wake up twenty times at night? Of course not...because they have you to soothe them and put them back to bed. The real goal is for mommy to sleep through the night. That's what us mommies are really focused on. Don't get me wrong, I love my babies, and some of my favorite snuggle times happen at 3am, but I'm not one of those moms who can sleep with a child in my arms; I'm a light sleeper.

On the morning of these pictures, I realized that it's been about three years since I've slept through the night because it was about that long ago that my pregnancy with Logan began. It was up and down with a super squished bladder for nine months, and then ten months until he slept through the night. Then of course, I was pregnant with Annie just when he started sleeping through the night, and it all began again.

We're in a new phase of not-sleeping-through-the-night now. I took these pictures through bleary eyes because I'd been up with my babies ten times that night. Logan got up seven times! Apparantly, a big boy bed is really wonderful because it means you can get up and get mommy out of bed so she can get up and put you back to bed. He was literally doing it for attention. There were no tears, no injuries, no nightmares, etc... He'd come to me and very calmly say, "N-night." Then I had to carry him back to his bed with his head on my shoulder and cover him up again. Ten minutes later the same thing. He was super sweet and super cuddly every time, but it was the middle of the night! Eventually, I made Jim get up with him because it was obvious he just wanted my attention. That made him mad, and he screamed until Annie was awake and screaming too. (It was still the middle of the night.) Annie needed me two other times that night, too. That is normal for her, though. She slept through the night from the time she was a few weeks old until she hit four months. Then it was over. Logan did that too.

I'm really not complaining...much. I actually find it funny for the most part, and I realize that they'll only be little so long, so I really do try to enjoy the middle of the night snuggle sessions.
Happy morning for a boy who had LOTS of mommy time the night before.

Happy baby who slept through her brother opening their door seven times.


I love this picture because it shows how fat her cheeks are...for months I couldn't see her neck at all!


1 comment:

Melanni said...

You have a much better attitude than I do right now about waking up with kids. It's only been about a year and a half since I've slept through the night-a mere half of your three(0: -and I feel like I'm going to go insane! Oh, wait, I already have!