Several places in our city have $1 admission days when the districts have spring break here, so we took a spring break with everyone else and had some fun.
On Monday, we went to a veteran's and local history museum. It also had a little planetarium set up.
Pardon my phone pictures... During the planetarium demonstration Alex turned and whispered to me, "Mom, do you smell blood? I smell blood!"
They had a tank that the kids could climb through. Abby wanted to stay at this spot the rest of our time there.
After the museum, we had a picnic on the river walk.
We also took a peek at the playground and splash pad up there.
After lunch, we headed over to the ice arena. Annie and Logan have been ice skating before, but that was three years ago. So it was brand new all over again. Being pregnant, and Abby being too little to skate anyway, I stayed off the ice and prayed no one would have a meltdown where I couldn't get at them.
Annie and Alex were TERRIFIED the moment they stepped on the ice, and I quickly became worried that my fear of a meltdown was going to come true. They couldn't hear me through the glass, but they could see me and I could walk along beside them through the entire arena. I did my best to encourage them with smiles and lots of thumbs-up. Annie eventually relaxed as long as I was right beside her. She clung to the wall the entire time, but she said she had fun afterward.
Very early on, Alex fell down and couldn't stand up on his own. This lady helped him up, I thanked her through the glass, and then she motioned to ask if she could help him skate. THANK YOU! She ended up skating with him almost the entire time, all of her own choosing. He had a blast, and gained enough confidence to keep at it on his own.
Logan was brave right from the start. He stayed on the wall for a minute or two and then made his way out to the middle of the arena. He had some AMAZING falls, but he stood up again and continued with a smile.
Logan's confidence grew quickly, so after the lady left Alex on his own, Logan helped him skate for a while.
We decided to skate again yesterday and today since it was so cheap and they all wanted to go again after the first time. Logan made amazing progress in this short time; today he was passing all sorts of people and had great balance. I think he'd pick it up quickly given the chance. Annie started each session terrified all over again, but by the end of each was confidently, but very slowly, making her way around holding onto the wall. She was pretty pleased with herself. Alex wasn't scared after the first day, and steadily made his way around as well. They really enjoyed the chance to skate; I wish it was this cheap all year!
I took this last picture yesterday. Annie was literally inching her way along right at the beginning, and she ended up with a long line of other beginners behind her (there were even more at a different point). She caused a major traffic jam! Eventually, everyone (including Alex) went around her.
For our last day of spring break fun, we're going to have a playdate with some friends that the kids only get to see at church. Then it's back to routines next week!
10 years ago












No comments:
Post a Comment