We started our new school year this week. I'd prepared almost everything during the weeks before Brigham was born, but I was avoiding the cleaning of our school closet. It was almost the last thing and couldn't wait any longer, so I set to work on it last Saturday.
BEFORE
AFTER: So much better! This is where we keep anything remotely educational (except books): general supplies, art supplies, educational games (plus a few that don't fit anywhere else), puzzles, clay, play dough, science kits, odd educational activities, etc. We use it when we need educational resources, as a reward, and as a place to keep all the small and messy things safe from mischief. It's a fantastic tool.
The evening before we started school, we cleaned up early and sat down to play a family game. While we (Jim, me, and the older kids) were being really loud at the table, the two little girls were being very quiet in the living room. Just before bedtime, I checked on them and discovered that they'd unloaded most of this enormous bookshelf! Aaah! That was a HUGE pile of books! Thankfully, Jim and the kids helped reshelve everything quickly before sending everyone to bed.
Our first day of school started poorly. I'd finished preparations the night before, so I woke feeling excited and ready to have a positive first day with my kiddos. Within five minutes, both Annie and Logan came to me upset about their requirements for the new school year. I'd felt impressed to increase their daily writing requirement and they weren't happy about it. Then, when I asked Alex to get dressed he threw a fit about not wanting to get dressed and not wanting to have school. I was feeling like I just wanted to send them all TO school and enjoy school with Abby (who was my only excited child) when Abby asked, "When are we going to school?" Me, "We have school at home." Abby, "NOOOOO!!" She then proceeded to throw herself on the floor and have a tantrum. Talk about taking the wind out of my sails kids!! The irony in this whole situation is that the kids really do LIKE school for the most part. They are happily engaged and begging for more with almost everything we do. The older kids have about 15 minutes of daily work that they don't love, but which I feel inspired they need to do, and that's what all the complaining was about. Abby just loves to socialize, so she was disappointed that school didn't equate to friend time. Gah!
Anyway, once we actually started our school day everything went smoothly and everyone was happy. As usual, they didn't want to quite whatever we were doing when we changed gears, and we had some great learning time and discussions. Rather than feeling new, it was a positive feeling of going back to regular routines.
I also took first day of school pictures. Since we don't focus on grade levels, we used signs showing what phase of learning they are each in. This year, I have four in core phase and two in love of learning phase.
We had an impromptu love of learning moment when a large bird flew overhead. "Look at that eagle!"
They always want to do silly pictures.
These little girls are so funny together.
There is nothing cuter than a two year old!
On day two, I caught them doing their individual work.
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment